Sunday 10 July 2011

Endless Sleep - a production classic


The night was black, rain fallin' down

Looked for my baby, she's nowhere around

Traced her footsteps down to the shore
‘fraid she's gone forever more

I looked at the sea and it seemed to say
“I took your baby from you away.

I heard a voice cryin' in the deep
“Come join me, baby, in my endless sleep.
Why did we quarrel, why did we fight?
Why did I leave her alone tonight?
That's why her footsteps ran into the sea
That's why my baby has gone from me.

I looked at the sea and it seemed to say
“I took your baby from you away.
I heard a voice cryin' in the deep
“Come join me, baby, in my endless sleep.
Ran in the water, heart full of fear

There in the breakers I saw her near

Reached for my darlin', held her to me

Stole her away from the angry sea

I looked at the sea and it seemed to say

“You took your baby from me away.
My heart cried out “she's mine to keep

I saved my baby from an endless sleep.
[Fade]
Endless sleep, endless sleep

......................................................

The original version of Endless Sleep was recorded - and co-written - by America’s
Jody Reynolds, but this echo-draped production is the one to go for. The combination of lyrics, music, performance and production is impeccable. It’s one of pop’s cut diamonds.
It’s the high point of
Marty Wilde’s short career as one of England's ersatz rock ‘n’ roll singers before he settled (like Tommy Steele) into family entertainment. The production is ideally suited to the content: right down to the backing chorus of monks behind that twanging guitar and Marty’s stylised moans and yelps. Despite the heavy atmosphere it may well have been recorded in a tiny room over a shop in London’s Denmark Street, also known as Tin Pan Alley. Another possible venue could have been Decca’s studio in Kilburn. Yes - I’m guessing! It’s another death song; always guaranteed to appeal to young teenagers who feel immortal, and it helps that the whole thing feels more like a very dark dream than anything, perhaps spun out of an opium pipe. Death never sounded more sexy. And it’s barely two-and-a-half minutes long - the perfect pop single.
The above conjecturing only serves to demonstrate my geographic knowledge of London's music history. The only contender here must be the incomparable Joe Meek, who had already produced Marty's version of 'Teenager in Love'.

.................

In jazz there is an equivalent recording: ‘
Cry Me A River’ by Julie London, also an irreducable gem (including one of the most audacious rhymes ever).

No comments:

Post a Comment